Friday, January 20, 2012

assets

Ok.  Today is the day I take a good look at my assets.

One of Suze's rules about being rich is to quit saying negative things about your current financial situation that aren't true.  Regularly saying things like "I'm broke" is a surefire way to keep all your riches at bay.  Being broke means hitting rock bottom with nothing-- no job, no place to sleep safely, no food, no friends to go to-- and there are very few of us in that situation.  Next time you get the urge to say "I'm broke", think about all the things you have that broke people do not have, and I guarantee you will start feeling richer immediately!

Also, prefacing anything with the words "I need" brings a very desperate energy to the statement.  Unless it's something that you absolutely can't live without ("I need oxygen"), better to think to yourself "'I would really love to own' those incredibly chic and fashionable prada sunglasses I tried on at the sunglasses hut a few weeks ago".  There is nothing wrong with wanting to have and experience nice things!  But if we're to live abundantly, it's important to mean what we say and say what we mean. 

At the end of my last blog post, I mentioned how I do not have any assets.  So, that is actually not entirely correct.  Turns out, assets are (according to wikipedia*):

"... assets are economic resources. Anything tangible or intangible that is capable of being owned or controlled to produce value and that is held to have positive economic value is considered an asset".

This means that any amount of money I can currently claim can be called one of my assets.  Excellent!

Additionally, assets can also include things that are not money, but could possibly be "controlled" in a way to produce value.  Talents like singing, playing guitar and violin, offering acroyoga and thai massage, knowing about music, writing a kickass blog, thinking of great ideas, being good with people, and selling your mom's old furniture on craigslist are all examples of intangible assets. 

I take it back, Suze!  I have assets!

Since this blog is primarily focused on financial freedom, we will be limiting our scope of assets to tangible assets, including (but not limited to) money, estate, investments, etc.  I already have a general sense about what my assets are going to look like, and have hereto resolved:  rather than focus on the size (or lack) of my current assets (which would undoubtedly make me frightened, upset, depressed, and lose hope) I will instead to choose to focus on the fact that I have any at all, and look forward to the day when I have a lot more!  This is a key aspect of becoming rich.  What you focus on, expands.  Rephrase things in a way that brings more to you.  Always on the up.  Always a way to find and bring more into your life.

Alright.  Time to do it.  Time to declare my assets to the world.  Brave like a lion.  This is what it takes.  Oh my god, I can not believe I'm doing this.  Ok, ready?  Here we go:

My current assets:

Wallet:  $24 (One $20, Four $1)

Checking account:  $52.53

Savings account:  $33.16

Piggy bank:  spare change, most likely in the amount of around $30.  not opening that. 

401K (untouchable until retirement, no exceptions):  currently valued at $5,131.83


---

Phew.  There.  Ok.  Was that so bad?  Are you scared?  Don't be.  Am I?  Well, maybe.  I guess I was, just for a second.  Scared, embarrassed, ashamed.  But I don't need to be.  There is nothing to be worried about. I live with my mother.  I eat really well and have a super soft, cozy bed to sleep in every night.  I just spent the $40 gift card my brother and his beautiful fiancee got me for Christmas at the American Apparel this week, and I am wearing a brand new shirt today, which makes me feel rich.  I'm so lucky.  I'm actually feeling great!  I have a lot to look forward to!  But, ok.  I do need to find a way to supplement these assets post haste.  Especially considering tomorrow is the entry on debt and credit. 

In terms of growing my assets, I have a couple of things I can do.  I really am trying to make some extra cash selling things we no longer need on craigslist.  This can actually be a great way to supplement your income, when time is a commodity.  I am scouring the craigslist "gig" section in west chicagoland to see if there are any part time things I can do on the side.  And I'm searching hardcore for permanent, career/ professional positions in New York City.  I have a tax return coming, which will give me a little bit of a boost, and an opportunity to really begin changing my spending habits.

But more than anything, I have hope, positivity and a relentless faith in something (the universe?  god?  my greater self?  who knows) that things are going to work out for me.  I truly believe that if I have the courage to imagine the life of my dreams, the world has the power to deliver it to me.  And that, my friends, is the biggest and best asset of all.

 Watch me make it happen.  Just watch me. 




*(in other news, go here to continue to support free internet access.  SOPA and PIPA would ruin everything fun, we must not let that happen)

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, you are so funny! I know humor is not the primary focus of this blog, but I can hear the passionate tone of your voice in your writing. It makes me smile and giggle and miss you! You can DO it!! I'll be checking back for updates :) p.s. Does this mean our $150 lunches/dinners would be irresponsible? I still remember that amazingly drunken lunch at le chat noir! Next time (when will that be?...) it's my treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, the thought of another $150 lunch date with you is almost enough to make me open up another unsecured credit card. That was so fun. <3

    ReplyDelete